Lethukuthula Mathebula (26) who hails from Nelspruit in Mpumalanga is an Assistant Audit Manager for Deloitte UK. “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic I’m doing my work remotely from South Africa. It sucks because I can’t travel and explore at the moment however the experience I am gaining is truly invaluable.” After 2 degrees, 2 board exams and 3 years of articles, Lethukuthula is officially eligible to register as a CA(SA). She describes herself as both a masterpiece and a work in progress.
Getting into Accounting
“From early on in primary school, my interests were more the commercial subjects as opposed to the sciences. My interest in the accounting profession grew in early high school as I would help my brother study for his board exams at the time. The content of what he was studying was very intriguing for me and that’s when I decided I would study accounting.”
- “I completed my undergraduate degree and CTA (Certificate of theory in Accountancy) at the University of the Witwaterstrand in 2016 and 2017 respectfully.
- I passed my first board exam (Initial Test of competence) in March 2018.
- In the same year (2018) I commenced my articles contract with Deloitte South Africa.
- In February 2020 I passed my second board exam (Assessment of Professional Competence).
- I finally completed my articles in December 2020.”
What is the most fulfilling thing about your career?
“There are a few things but I would have to say problem solving. Being able to solve different challenges that I encounter day by day is really fulfilling. No one day is the same and I love that! I would also say the people I meet make the job that much more fulfilling. In my field you can learn something new from every person you encounter and that is really special to me.”